24 HOUR HORMONE TEST
It is important that you follow the guidelines carefully. The times are important because we are looking for the ratios of hormones as well as the actual numbers. The times are 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m., 8 p.m., midnight and 4 am. This is called a circadian panel. You can start anywhere in the cycle but once you have started it you are married to it. It must be one continually 24 hour cycle and the times need to be exact; 4 am is not 5 am. Chew thoroughly. The cotton swabs need to be soaking wet. Upon the completion of each tube, put in it in the freezer. Only when all the tubes are frozen solid do you put them in the blue cardboard container and fed ex them directly to the lab. IMPORTANT: Only mail on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. It doesn’t matter when you do the test as long as the samples are frozen solid upon mailing. With the Texas heat it is imperative that it is mailed on these days so that the samples will still be viable upon receipt by the lab which is in California.
We draw the blood for our food allergy testing here in our office. There is no preparation necessary and you do not need to be fasting. We do prefer that you are on a normal diet. This is antibody testing so taking yourself off foods that you suspect are a problem for you can be a problem for us. We of course don’t advocate eating things that make you sick, however, if you are unsure what is bothering you (if anything) stay on a normal diet until after the blood draw. We will draw children in the office if they are not fearful, however, if they are resistant and will be combative we are not set up for that here and will be referring them to a neighboring lab that specializes in pediatric draws.
HEAVY METAL TESTING
These instructions are provided so that you may arrange the time necessary for these tests accordingly and ensure the delivery of valid samples in accordance with the test requirements. These tests will be comprised of the following:
- First 24 hour urine collection
- Blood sample
- Calcium EDTA IV
- Second 24 hour urine collection
- Upon rising on Sunday morning, discard your first urine; however, record the time of that first urine on the bottle with a sharpie marker. This will be considered your Starting Collection Time on Sunday and Ending Collection Time on Monday.
- Collect urine directly into the orange container that was provided to you. Make sure that the container contents are kept below 70 degrees F. It is important that you do not drink too many fluids (try not to exceed 8 glasses during this time period). All urine will need to be collected for 24 hours after the first urine in that one container. Too many fluids equal too much urine which not only dilutes your urine but also makes for a problem in getting all urine into the one container which is a lab requirement.
- If you need to leave your home during this period, you will need to take the container with you in an ice chest and use it every time you need to urinate.
- Monday morning, you will need to bring the container to our office before 10:00 a.m. If you have to drive more than 30 minutes, please put the container in an ice chest and ice it down.
- Arrive to the office by 10:00 a.m. Place your urine container in the lab and proceed to the chelation department in the back of the office. The nurse will collect a blood sample from you and then inject you with an IV of Calcium EDTA. Allow 1 ½ hours minimum for this visit.
- Immediately after your IV you will start the second 24 hour urine collection that will continue until the end of your 24 hour period. This time is based on what time you finished your IV. Example, if you finished at 11:30 a.m. you will need to collect urine until 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
- Deliver the second 24 hour urine container to our office. You will not need to see the nurse at this time unless you have questions or concerns. You may leave the container in the lab area.
- Please stop by the front desk on your way out of the office and schedule your follow up appointment with your doctor for three weeks from that day. Remember to set up this appointment because we do not call with results. Those will only be discussed with you by your physician on that follow up appointment.
SPECTRACELL MICRONUTRIENT TESTING: THERE IS NO PREPARATION FOR THIS TEST. IS A REQUIREMENT THAT THIS TEST BE FED EXED OUT THE SAME DAY SO PLEASE BE SURE TO SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT EARLY IN THE DAY SO THAT WE ARE SURE TO HAVE TIME TO PROCESS IT AND GET IT TO FED EX ON TIME.